Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz is strongly committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment that supports the recruitment, retention and advancement of women and men of all backgrounds, at all levels of the Firm.
We are an original signatory to the New York City Bar’s Statement of Goals for Increasing Minority Representation and Retention. The Firm is committed to recruiting a diverse and talented body of lawyers considering diversity in its broadest form. We were one of the first New York City law firms to offer health benefits to domestic partners and to offer benefits to transgender individuals.
The Firm has a Diversity Committee, which provides guidance and recommendations on policies, procedures and specific action steps to meet the Firm’s objectives with regard to diversity and inclusion. The Firm has two full-time professionals who administer the Firm’s diversity initiatives: an Associate Director of Recruiting and Diversity and a Senior Recruiting and Diversity Specialist.
Our Diversity Committee often works in conjunction with our Associate Development Committee to increase development initiatives for all associates.
Diversity Initiatives and Programs
- Since 2009, we have hosted a series of heritage month recognition presentations at the Firm. We have been fortunate to welcome General Counsel of Fortune 500 Companies, Presidents and Directors of prominent public interest groups, Circuit Court Judges and Law School Professors, among others.
- We actively encourage and support affinity group meetings among our attorneys. While informal in nature, these forums have proven to be a good way for attorneys to get together to discuss shared concerns and work toward a common goal. Currently, we have groups that represent our Women, African-American/Black, Asian, Hispanic/Latinx, LGBT, Parents and Veteran attorneys.
- We have administered a 1L Summer Associate Diversity Program for more than 16 years, which has produced a number of full-time associate hires.
- The Firm has been an active participant in various school-sponsored minority job fairs. We are also proud sponsors of the Lavender Law Career Fair. Throughout the year, we are also proud to sponsor and participate in numerous student affinity group activities, panels and conferences at various schools throughout the country.
- We have been a partner firm in the Seizing Every Opportunity (SEO) Corporate Law Intern Program since 2007. A number of these summer interns have gone on to become full-time associates. We also participate in and are benefactors for the Prep for Prep Internship Program and the Legal Outreach Summer Internship Program.
- We are proud to report that we were one of five pilot firms that participated in the NALP/Street Law Legal Diversity Pipeline Program in 2009 and have continued and expanded our involvement in recent years.
- We are a founding member of the Kate Stoneman Project (KSP), whose mission is to provide a forum to address issues regarding the advancement of women in the legal profession. As such we are an active participant in the group’s programming for attorneys and law school students.
- We are sponsoring corporate members of the National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL), giving our women attorneys full access to their programming and networking opportunities.
- We are members of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) and have nominated attorneys to participate in their Fellows Program, their 1L Scholars Program and their Pathfinders Program.
- In 2018, we were named a Compass Award winner for participation and commitment to all LCLD programming.
- In 2018, we received category honors for Leadership & Promotions by the Yale Law Women’s Top Ten Female and Family Friendly Firms survey, acknowledging that at least 50% of attorneys promoted to equity partner in 2017 were women. In 2014, in the same survey we received category honors for Utilization of Part-Time.